Wednesday 20 April 2016

Products That Help My Acne

If you haven't read my previous post, you can click HERE. There I talk about the struggle I have had with acne and the process I've been through to get to a point where I am more confident with how my skin looks. I am still struggling, still getting breakouts and I still get bothered by how my skin looks but it is so much better than it has been and it's continuing to improve.

As promised, this is a look at the products I have found that have helped my skin to start to clear up and help it to look so much better.
In the last post I talked about how I have been getting Pumpkin Peels which use glycolic acid. I firmly believe this is the main reason for my skin getting better but these products have definitely helped and I see a difference when I do/don't use them.
Obviously, everybody has different skin and products that work for me may not work for you - hopefully they will! - but I can't promise. Also, I'm not a skincare expert; this is just how I got on with the products.
My skin type is blemish-prone (obv), and ever so slightly oily though not always and not majorly. I don't tend to get dry patches and my skin isn't really sensitive.

First up is a brand I mentioned briefly in the last post... Pixi.

Glow Tonic, Rose Oil Blend, Glow Mud Cleanser, Glow Peel Pads; all Pixi Beauty
 I LOVE Pixi Beauty (also, that packaging! -inserts heart eyes emoji-). The Glow Tonic came to my attention through a load of hype in the beauty blogging world. I'd read up on it, and glycolic acid, and decided to give it a go. Now, I always have at least one bottle as a back up, I've just bought a 500ml bottle (and it has a pump! So excited!) and I honestly can't tell you how many times I have repurchased it. It is only 5% glycolic so it is mild enough to use AM and PM. Acid toners exfoliate the skin without having to use face scrubs, which aren't very good for the skin (or environment). This leaves my skin feeling refreshed and smooth and keeps it from looking dull.
I got the Rose Oil Blend because I always hear people talk about how rose oils are good for acne and I really like this! This is my second bottle and you only need a couple of drops for the whole face. My skin feels hydrated, it sinks in so quickly and in the morning I do notice that the redness has gone down a lot.
The Glow Mud Cleanser is my favourite evening cleanser. I take my makeup off and then use this to clean my skin. It kind of looks like a clay mask so it seems a bit odd that it's a cleanser but it feels so nice. Again, it has 5% glycolic acid and you could also leave it on for a few minutes as a mask. I squeeze a small amount and massage it in to my skin then rinse it off with  flannel and warm water. My skin feels so soft after using this. Also, it last for ages! I thought my last tube was almost gone so I bought a new one ready and it ended up lasting another month.
Finally, the Glow Peel Pads. I bloody love acid pads. I've used the First Aid Beauty ones (that are great) and I've recently bought the Nip + Fab ones (which I'm really enjoying). These are intense and amazing. They are 20% glycolic so they are stronger than the other products so if you aren't used to using acids, maybe don't start with these! They are a bit tingly (a good tingly) but it goes after a minute or so. I would only use these 2, maybe 3, times a week in the evening. I use both sides of the pad (they are soaked in the product) and wipe all over my face. Then after a few minutes I rinse my face with a flannel. I like using these when I have a bad breakout or a nasty looking spot and by the morning, things look much calmer.

You can get Pixi online in loads of places and Marks & Spencer also now sell it too!

Cicaplast Baume B5, Serozinc; both La Roche Posay

Next we have a couple of products from La Roche Posay. I know most people who use this brand, who have acne problems, would probably have the Effaclar Duo in here. I have used that in the past and I have tried it a couple of times but I didn't find it did all that much for me. I am tempted to try again though now my skin is under a little more control.
The Cicaplast Baume B5 was an accidental discovery. I was making an online order and needed to spend an extra couple of quid to get free next day delivery. This was super cheap so I just added it. This is actually a skin soothing and repairing cream for burns and cuts etc. I had a REALLY angry breakout when I got it so I just put a bit on and the next day it calmed right down and was almost gone. I use this now whenever I get stubborn spots. Also, I've had a cold this last week and my nose has got really sore... popped a bit of this around my nostrils and the skin looked and felt so much better the next day!
The next product is another that is always all over the beauty blogging world. The Serozinc spray only came to the UK the other year. This is a toning mist and contains zinc sulphate. A lot of people have linked zinc to having positive effects on acne and I saw so many good reviews for this. I don't use it all the time but it does help me with redness and if I've squeezed a spot (I can't help it) it keeps things under control and calm. It also feels really refreshing, especially in a morning.

Then there's just a few extra products I love too...

Oskia Renaissance Cleasning Gel, Vichy Aqualia Thermal Serum, The Body Shop Vitamin E Serum in Oil, Lush Mask of Magnaminty



I saw SO many people raving the Oskia Renaissance Cleansing Gel and I ended up caving and buying it. I tend to use this in the morning to cleanse my skin. It contains pumpkin enzymes and it feels really refreshing in the morning and helps wake me up. It works well along side the Pumpkin Peels. I like the pump that is on the bottle but you never know when it's going to run out with the packaging being opaque and it's so frustrating! 
Now, I don't know if the Vichy serum actually helps my acne BUT it does make my skin feel amazing and I don't like being without it. It really hydrates the skin and I use this every morning; sometimes in the evening too. I find I go through it pretty quickly but it is usually on offer in Boots which softens the blow.
The Body Shop Vitamin E Serum-in-Oil was a recent rediscovery. I bought it a couple years back and I enjoyed using it but then I kind of forgot I had it. I had a clear out and came across and tried it again that night. The next day my skin felt so soft, calm and hydrated. I tend to alternate between this and the Pixi oil in the evening now.
Finally is the Lush Mask of Magnaminty. My friend Katie brought this pot of joy into my life. You can click to the Lush page here for more info on the ingredients and what they do but I use this once or twice a week. It feels really cooling and refreshing and I leave it on for 20-30 minutes. The seeds and beans that are in it can be used for a gentle exfoliation when removing the mask too. I find my skin feels soft, looks clear and glowy pretty much straight away and the next morning my redness has gone down too. You can use this on the body too (if you get acne on your back) but I've not tried this. Who can reach?! The products lasts a good few months too.


I hope that wasn't too rambly and was it helpful. I do spend a bit of money on skincare but none of these products are ridiculously expensive. Plus, I have got to a point where I am willing to spend money on something that will definitely work for me. I don't use all these things every day but I'll generally use them all within a week. 
I'm really happy with my skincare routine at the moment and the products I use but do let me know if you have found anything that really works for you that I may like.





No comments:

Post a Comment